It’s not big news to you if you know me or others who struggle with chronic pain or Fibromyalgia. Or that when we dress, most days it’s purely for comfort. The general rule is that the more tight and uncomfortable the clothes are, the more uncomfortable we will be throughout the day. So yes many times we choose to dress for comfort over fashion. And yes, sometimes that means we look a bit slob like or dare I say lazy. But I can guarantee if you asked anyone struggling with the pain of Fibro (or other chronic pain) and the struggles of clothing, that they don’t mind. Anything we can do everyday to make our lives a little easier or pain free we will pretty much do. That is within reason of course. Sorry aover the course of the last few months I’ve been on a search for the “PERFECT” legging! And today I want to share what I have found!
Searching for the perfect legging can be long and arduous at times. And just plain frustrating. Okay, arduous, may be a bit of an exaggeration. However, the experience can be frustrating!! One of the biggest frustrations for me along this journey was to find leggings that not only fit but didn’t make me look like a whale, and didn’t break my pocket book! Another frustration with leggings in general is the looks of judgement or even disgust that one might receive. Just because I am dressing in leggings in public does not mean I am lazy!!! It simply means I am having a crappy day filled with pain and I don’t need your judgement or to explain why I chose my attire!!!
There are a few guidelines I feel ANYONE shopping for/wearing leggings should follow. They are as follows.
- Wearing your TWEETY BIRD or SPONGE BOB pajama pants in public is NEVER okay!! For everyone’s sake please take a moment and throw on some real pants before leaving the house!!
- When wearing said leggings I ALWAYS encourage ladies to buy and wear shirts that are long enough to cover your behind. It’s a much better look overall.
- Lastly, NEVER EVER wear nude color leggings!!! This is not a good look on anyone!!!
So now that we have talked about the guidelines for wearing leggings, let’s discuss my TOP 5 brands. These are my personal favorite leggings from 5 different retailers, and at different price points, in no certain order.
g1. Faded Glory- Fleeced Lined, Full Length Leggings. $9.99 (2 pack)~~ These leggings are PERFECT for the winter and for anyone who gets cold easily as they are lined with fleece. PROS- very warm and cozy, great price point, does not shrink if accidentally put in the dryer. CONS- Can cause the person wearing to get too warm! The waist band is an awkward width, it is not the standard wide waist band that most leggings have so it can sit easily in a person’s folds.
2. Women’s Leggings Old Navy- Price Range-$10.00- $32.00. They have a variety of lengths and styles. PROS- very soft and comfortable, thin waist line (the pair I have is a thin waist band, they have varying waist band widths available). CONS- will shrink if dried in dryer, fabric begins peeling after only a couple wears. Can be found in store or on Online at Old Navy.
3. Maurices- Ultra Soft Legging. Ranging in size from 0-4XL, with various styles and color. The original black ultra soft leggings are $18.00, & $20.00 for plus sizes. Right now they have a site wide sale, fBuy One, Get one 60% off! So now is the time to buy!!! PROS- VERY soft, great quality fabric that doesn’t shirk in dryer or peel after multiple times wearing. CONS- For ME these are much to high waisted, to the point the waist band is up under my breasts. I read reviews and did not see many complaints of this. So I believe it’s just my shape. These leggings can be found in store and on their website.
4. Agnes and Dora- In order to shop this companies options, it’s best to find yourself a distributor. My distributor is Sarah Clawson, she keeps some stock on hand and has a Website (click the hyperlink to shop) on which you can shop. Sarah is super easy to work with and is always willing to go out of her way to find you what you are looking for. Leggings are ALL $22.00. PROS- These leggings are very very soft and warm. They come in multiple colors, patterns and sizes. Sizes range from XS-XXXL! Sarah routinely posts new inventory on her Facebook site so her customers can see all the new things coming in! CONS- I really love these leggings and the only con i can come up with is the width of the waistband. I prefer a WIDE waistband, and these are more of a skinny waistband. Sarah’s website is linked above but you should also check out her Facebook Group here!
5. Last but certainly not least, a brand I feel confident in saying you have probably heard of and may actually own some. LULAROE. This is another company where you need to find a distributor to purchase from. The LLR distributor I have become loyal to and buy all my LLR gear from is Rebecca Weddle. If you search Lularoe Rebecca Weddle on Facebook you can find her VIP group. In that group she offers frequent sales and discounts. Now to the leggings!! They come in sizes Tween(size 00 and 0), OS (one size, size 2-10), TC (Tall & Curvy, size 12-18) and TC2 (Tall and Curvy too, size 18+). PRICES are $23.00-$25.00, and they come in countless colors and patters! PROS- Fabric is super soft and stretchy, the fact that they come in countless colors and patterns as I mentioned above. And these are quality items and will last a LONG time. The patterns do not fade and they can be dried if necessary, but it is not recommended! I also love the WIDE waist band that feels like it is holding everything in where it should be! CONS- Can be pricey, but like I said they hold up really well! Also it is almost impossible to get a plain colored legging through LLR!
This is just a quick overview of my favorite leggings I have found. I know you may be thinking this is a silly post. But until you have a condition that causes pain everywhere which can be made worse by clothing you won’t truly understand! Leggings can really feel like a lifesaver when you have to get out of the house but the thought of having to wear “real” clothes makes you want to cry! I hope this guide helps you to chose some better options as far as brands and distributors. Please leave me a comment letting me know what you thought of this post. But please be nice!!